Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Oh Oh...I'm Getting Behind

I missed out on the chicken leg dinner. I fell asleep. It looked good and the report from Mike was that it was delicious!

Last night was football night for the kids, and Dancing With The Stars for me, so we split up. The white bean chili made with ground turkey was really really good. (Who ever heard of using white beans and ground turkey to make chili?)  I was brought up on Tex Mex and that sure doesn't say "turkey" to me! I have to say, Paulette never disappoints--the chili was delicious!

Thinking of Tex Mex makes me remember back in the day, when Mom never knew how many people she might have at the table. It was a game to her to make sure she was always ready, no  matter come what may. She always had dishes of enchiladas ready for the oven, and if everybody was hankering for Mexican and she was caught short, she would send my Dad out looking for a "tamale man".

Times were tough everywhere. Some enterprising men used ice cream push carts in the winter to sell tamales on the street.. Their wives would cook all day, and a bit before dinner time these guys could be found out in the neighborhoods "whistling" their wares. Some of the whistles were quite pretty. They would blow a little tune and then call out, "Hot tamales, get your hot tamales"! Now these were hot tamales! And as we usually needed a lot of them, the tamale men would make more than one pass in front of our house. They would count the bicycles and figure they could sell out and go home early if Mr. Herbert (Dad) was looking for a tamale man. The tamales cost about 10 cents a dozen!  For two dollars and a pan of enchiladas, we could feed the football team.

Back to today, this white bean chili made with ground turkey was delicious and served with corn bread. It certainly met with my approval.

Darn! I fell sleep before Dancing With The Stars was over. Was anyone a standout?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What does this post make YOU think about living richly? Share your thoughts with us!