Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Food Stamp Challenge Gets Real

Today I'm having a really tough time with the Food Stamp Challenge. Tomorrow is my husband's birthday and I realize I have not included anything in my menu plan to make him a birthday cake. I used my last egg for the corn bread last night, so I don't think I can make something that even remotely resembles a cake from the Baking Mix I got as a bonus item in the BIG Value Package. I do have apples and pears, so I can make a crisp, but our tradition is German Chocolate Cake.

How many people have to give up their family traditions when they lose their jobs? Thanks to SHARE we do have plenty of food and I am grateful for that. But I know how to plan, am a very competent cook and have a fully equipped kitchen. How would this be for someone who doesn't have years of experience? Or if you lived in a house without a working stove?

My other reality check was making both breakfast and lunch and bringing it with me to work today. I had to do a TV interview very early and didn't have time to eat before I left the house. If I wasn't adhering to this Challenge I would have skipped out the door and stopped for something to eat after the interview. Packing breakfast and lunch every day is a great way to save money, but it sure was inconvenient today.

The Food Stamp Challenge shows just how much work it is to be poor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What does this post make YOU think about living richly? Share your thoughts with us!