Friday, October 28, 2011

Food Stamp Challenge Day One

We got off to a good start with the Food Stamp Challenge. I got home late from work and decided to switch around the menu and make the meat loaf that was planned for Saturday. This is a fully cooked item that just needs to be heated. What I like about having a menu plan is that I can switch things around if my week goes haywire (as it often does!)

When I left the office I called home and asked my husband to put some potatoes in the oven to bake. By the time I got there it was just about time to pop the meatloaf in the oven. To jazz it up a bit I made some mushroom gravy, see the recipe below. We all agreed this was a tasty, fast, work-night dinner.

Mushroom Gravy

2 Tbsp olive oil
4 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
½ onion, small dice
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbsp Flour
2 Cups water, divided
1 beef bouillon cube
Salt and pepper to taste

1) Heat oil over medium heat in skillet; add mushrooms, garlic and onions and sauté until soft.

2) Whisk flour into 1 cup cold water.  Slowly add to skillet and stir until smooth.

3) Add one cup water and bring to simmer.  Add the bouillon cube and continue to simmer until thick.

4) Season with salt and pepper to taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What does this post make YOU think about living richly? Share your thoughts with us!